Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
When a fire damage has occurred in your San Antonio home or office, it can be overwhelming and you may not now where to begin to start retaking control of your home or business. Your first step is to contact SERVPRO of Braun Station so that we can immediately arrive on site to begin the cleanup process. While you are waiting for our arrival, you want to ensure that you are safe. Safety is the most pressing priority and should be your main concern. Prior to re-entering your building make sure that you ask yourself if it is safe to enter the property? If there is any doubt, wait for our arrival.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (210) 267-2159
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.